Monday, October 8, 2012

Learning to Launder (the British Way)

English Rain
Photo by Mrs.Timpers via Flickr
I'm sitting here, with hot coffee, reveling in a typically British day. It is misty, often drizzly, but as I don't have to step foot in it today, I'm enjoying it. My daughters are off to school without me, thanks to a wonderful woman who lives near us and works at the junior school my eldest attends. Heaven!

I hear the boy quietly, but obsessively, playing with his motorized Thomas the Tank, a gift from his third birthday a few weeks ago. We actually rode Thomas! More on that in another post.

Domesticity has altered slightly in this new land. I have to get used to a new set of tools, do without some old favorites and attempt to put a routine back into place. As it is Monday, I've got to get the house back in order from the weekend, though I got a jump-start on it yesterday by tidying one daughter's room and marveling in the oldest (7-years-old) doing her own!

It's the laundry that's got me in a bit of a conundrum. I have no dryer. I have a drying contraption that is anchored outdoors - where it is raining and where it rains nearly at least once a day. In the apartment we stayed in for the first two weeks I had a machine that was both washer and dryer. Brilliant British efficiency! It didn't dry very well, but it gave heavier items a good start and I hung them to finish them off.

In the two weeks we've been in the house, after one useless attempt at hanging clothes to dry outdoors, I've gone to draping socks and undies (pants, as they're called here - I've had to train myself to call dress-pants "trousers" so as not to inadvertently talk about underwear in public!) over heated towel bars and radiators and hanging dress shirts, jeans and trousers directly in the closets, doors left open, to dry.

I suppose I'll get the hang of it eventually, no pun intended. In the meantime, I'll be scouring Craigslist and sales adverts for a dryer!

Any tips from dryer-deprived readers?

5 comments:

  1. I could not live without my dryer. Have you succumbed to stringing your laundry up in the house? Good luck with Craigslist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to live without a dryer, but I am and therefore can. Hopefully not for too long. If it's just one or two people fine, but 5?!!! Yes, the laundry is strung about here and there, but I try to keep it contained and put away by the time everyone gets home for the day (even if that just means the drying rack tucked into the utility room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your optimism. It seems like you are viewing this as a new adventure. Pretty great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHHH how have I missed this much??! I had no idea what all has been going on in your life recently...so sorry I haven't caught up sooner. I've been so busy and wanted to stop by your blog and see how you were. I'm really sorry to hear about your struggles recently, it's so unfortunate, but I'm really happy to hear you're starting new...and in a whole new land at that! All you can do is move forward and up! :) I hope everything works out for you guys and as hard as it is to believe at times, everything really does happen for a reason ;) I'll try stopping by more often again to stay posted!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brandi! You've been a busy blogger, for sure! I absolutely believe everything happens for a reason and just do my best to stay open to what life brings to me! Happy to have you back for a visit!

      Delete

Go on, tell me what you think!