Friday, May 25, 2012

Birthday #7: The Age of Reason

My baby is turning 7 tomorrow, technically tonight, since she was born in Singapore. Some call it the "Age of Reason." It's a beautiful transition out of temperamental early childhood. It's a deep breath before the moods of adolescence strike.

The other day, my 2-year-old boy burst out in tears when I sharply told him "No!" as he attempted to jump on  the ukulele he was playing with. My daughter went over to him and comforted him. She said, "It's OK, buddy. Mommy loves you and she loves that instrument. You have to understand that she doesn't want you to break things. You could get hurt."

When her 5-year-old sister reacted strongly in the negative to the dinner they were served, she said, "I know this is healthy for me, so I'm going to eat it. I think I'm getting more reasonable now that I'm turning seven."

Indeed, she is. I am cherishing this "space between." She still wants me near, to cuddle close, to climb into bed with her and sing her a lullaby each night. I know things will change in a few years. I remember going from loving to hating my own mom; my intention is to have an entirely different relationship with my own daughter. Healthy, loving, open, accepting, yet with firm rules and expectations for behavior.

How have you seen your relationship change with your daughter during this age? What's the best parenting choice you've made with your "tween" daughter or that your own mother made with you?

Oh, how time flies!

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday to your daughter! 7 is a wonderful age, my daughter is 9 and I'm really enjoying this time with her. I can talk to her more, have 'real' conversations and she understands a lot more. Once a month, we have a mother/daughter date, just the two of us and it's really helped us get closer.
    The photo is adorable by the way :-)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, tell me what you think!