Thursday, January 12, 2012

Calling Mary Poppins

Have you heard the idea that you are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with? You'll average out in income, success and even your overall mood.

It's the mood thing I'm most concerned about. I'm thinking I'm in serious trouble. There are five of us in my family. I spend 90% of my time with a temperamental toddler and two little girls with mood swings as strong as hurricanes. It's either all roses and butterflies or the whole world is stupid and everything in life is horrible and I must not love them. I thought that kind of behavior was reserved for tweens and teens.

It's a constant see-saw of emotion. Add to it a whirlwind of mess and a never-ending to do list that's got me feeling harried.

So, I'm putting in my request to the Universe: Please send me Mary Poppins. Or Super Nanny. They're basically the same thing anyway.

Mom readers (especially those of you with two or more children), how do you maintain a positive outlook and mood with the blazing emotions of your children? I'm on a bit of a quest to find out (that is, I'm writing a book), so I truly appreciate your feedback on this one. If you'd rather comment in private, I welcome your email at adgmommy (at) gmail (dot) com. Give me permission, or not, to one day use your comments in print.

Thanks!
DGMommy

7 comments:

  1. New follower from the THursday hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really tough! For me, I have to constantly remind myself that I need to figure out what each of my children need from me in order to function. My daughter likes lists. She likes visuals where she can see the next days events or expectations. My oldest son needs us to constantly check on him. He can't pass his classes without bringing home a daily progress report. My youngest is only 2 so we are still figuring him out. Then of course, there are date nights to remind us that we are adults, and I go to the gym for some me time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a dramatic 17 month old girl. During her tantrums, I just walk away. She usually realizes that I'm not standing there and she quits. All of the hugs and kisses from her make up for any bit of emotional meltdown she has.

    *New follower from the hop! Can't wait to read more :)
    www.biscuitheadbaby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for following, Sara Marie.
    Vanessa, I appreciate your comment. Your children are very fortunate to have a mom who takes the time to really attend to thier individual needs.
    Carolyn, walking away from one is manageable! Good for you for setting the stage now so that she knows what will get your response or not. I've alwasys said the "terrible twos" actually start around 18months, so you've got a good start on handling them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I remember those days VERY clearly and there were times it took every bit of self-discipline I had not to run out of the house screaming. They were too little for me to actually do that, so I would pack them up and head for the park. One of them went down the slide endlessly while I pushed the other one in the baby swing. Nobody was crying or pouting, so it helped preserve my sanity for a few hours. And if it was too cold for the park, we'd head to the bread store and buy bird bread. Then we'd go to the lake and feed the ducks - another blessedly peaceful outing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When mine were little I just would distract them onto something else it worked for me. Hope you have a great day my friend.

    Always Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbarawr, that's actually exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you.
    Wendy, distraction is a practice I'm mastering! :)
    Thank you both for your wonderful comments.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, tell me what you think!