Tuesday, April 26, 2011

And the Universe answered... with Strep Throat!

Whatever you want to call it, God, the Universe, a higher power... it's who or what we pray to, or send out our silent wishes to when we're in need. A few days ago I was thinking to myself how I needed to detox a bit from too much coffee and too much wine. And get more sleep! I certainly need more sleep on a regular basis. How to accomplish this when I need more sleep for less coffee and we're busy tasting wine to set our inventory for our new retail store (not complaining!!).

So, the Universe granted my wish in an unusual way: Strep throat. My kids aren't sick, though a couple of them have runny noses, but yesterday I woke up unable to swallow without severe pain. I felt achy all over, freezing cold, and my throat... I couldn't even consider drinking coffee because it hurt so badly to swallow. Thank goodness the girls had school, and my darling husband was here to take them, so I could stay home and rest. Like it or not, the little guy went down for a nap at 10am and so did I. He didn't sleep, but I did. And then again after lunch and then bed at 9:30. I was asleep before my daughters (they were being naughty. I put them to bed at 8pm). I only had soup, juice and water all day!

I think I woke up every time I swallowed last night and am pretty sure my fever broke as I woke up in a pool of sweat (I never sweat). So, I called the doctor first thing and the doctor said, "Strep!" I haven't had this since I was a kid, but it certainly has managed to allow me to detox, get more sleep and drop a couple of pounds at the same time.

When you call, the Universe answers. Not always in expected or welcome ways, but it certainly does get the job done.

My 4-year-old daughter's drawing of Mommy sleeping on the couch. 

2 comments:

  1. Awww. I hope you feel better soon! Strepp stinks. And kids don't usually understand when mommy is sick. Hope you can get some more rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryn: They are going to be in Royal Oak. I'm not sure where that is though.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, tell me what you think!